Translation from English

Sunday, June 23, 2013

I don't trust this elevator either....

Another photo I put on a Google Plus Community and realized I had forgotten to post it here.

If you remember, about 25 years ago there was a big push to make all subway stations --or at least the major ones--in the City wheelchair accessible.

People thought they would finance this scheme with "trade off" money for public transportation instead of for automobile related projects.

Problem was, building elevators like this and maintaining them is so expensive and also there are so many potholes and bridges falling down in NYC that the money just was never there...

I have only seen a few subway stations in Manhattan with elevators...I know one of them is over at Herald Square...I forget where the other ones are.  I believe there may be one in the Bronx.

This elevator is so uninviting though, even if my toe were killing me I would go take the escalator...I don't like the look of this thing...what if I got stuck in it on a Sunday...I am sure the firemen would get there eventually, assuming they knew I was stuck in there...would they?
A little like something from Edgar Allan Poe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered