Translation from English

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Truman's Gentlemen's Groomers- Lower Midtown East (30th /Madison)

Generally very good reviews, many excellent ones

Also has a place up in the East 50's which gets very good reviews too

Ha! ONE sour apple and it comes close to beginning of reviews

Seems expensive to me...I suspect one reason so many happy review was people had deals or Groupons or whatever

Of course the name gives it away right away as not being a downscale or just neighborhood place or anything


Truman's Gentlemen's Groomers

5.0 star rating
21 reviews
  • 121 Madison Ave
    New York, NY 10016
    b/t 30th St & 31st St in Midtown East
  • Transit information 4 6 6X N R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 683-9400
  • Business website trumans-nyc.com
  • 9/9/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    I stumbled upon Truman's while searching Yelp for a new place close to my office. Obviously the 5 star review they already had was enticing so I made an appointment.

    I was greeted with a cold beverage of my choice from their full bar. My stylist was Ashlee who was absolutely fantastic! I almost don't want to give her name out so that everyone can't start going to her but she is the real deal and she deserves a shout out. Super pleasant and social and she did exactly what I wanted with my hair.

    The wash/shampoo was an experience all in itself. Hot towel over the eyes and a very lengthy and super relaxing head massage.

    I have found my new place!
  • 10/11/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    I took my boyfriend here for a shave and haircut. The service seemed good... Pretty average. But the staff was rude! They wouldn't let me stand near him while he was getting his treatments done, and said I was not allowed to take pictures during the treatments. For the amount I paid for this place I would expect much friendlier staff.
  • 8/28/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    It's amazing had the manicure and pedicure and love the staff and the ambiance.
  • 6/21/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    I walked in with a full beard and walked out looking like I had a home and a job. My barber (whose name I can't recall) had a deft, delicate touch, so that even my squeamish neck area got swiped clean without my even noticing. I will happily go back, and recommend enthusiastically.
  • 6/9/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    Great place, they have a bartender right there to make whatever you are ailing.  Very good haircut and service was just all top notch, you feel like you can take over the world when you are done here.  ;-)
  • 11/1/2012
    I'm a huge Truman's fan (as you can tell from my rating) and the service they provide.  I've been a customer for 6 years and originally went to the 56th street location.  This store is larger than Madison, but it doesn't have anything the new Madison location doesn't.
    My stylist, Samantha Buckley, is an effervescent bundle of energy who doesn't push me to buy products, etc., if I'm not in the mood.  What she does push is a martini that's ice cold... very delicious.  I never feel rushed when I'm there and I'm always welcome to stop by if I'm in the area and need to use the facilities.  I recently purchased a membership, so I'll be going there more frequently for haircuts (and martinis...)
  • 11/1/2012
    1 check-in here
    First time visitor. Didn't have many expectations for it was my first time.

    Everything seemed just right. Great service. Professional personnel. Coat check. Bar with a tv. Modern store design.

    Definitely will be returning.
    • K A.
    • Manhattan, NY
    • 17 friends
    • 94 reviews
    8/12/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    Listed in Best of Midtown
    Been here a few times now, it's a good balance between John Allan's (hot women but the haircut is a bit of a gamble) and Spiff (good haircut but less eye candy), but priced at a slight premium a la carte (probably to encourage memberships). The head massage during the shampoo is extremely relaxing. They also do a great lunchtime haircut and and managed to keep my shirt collar pristine. Seriously considering a membership, and I already have a great old-school barbershop near my apartment. Bar is solid as well, although I rarely avail myself of it.
  • 3/12/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    My biggest problem was always knowing what haircut looked good for my head and face. Well, I not only got a great haircut here (used a $50 groupon). But, the woman who gave it to me was able to tell me exactly what would look good on me and why. I haven't been in since ($75 for a cut and shave is pretty steep) but I use her advice when I go to cheaper hair-stylists to get a similar cut. Free booze, great atmosphere, when I'm making a bit more money I would definitely stop by again. Not giving it 5 stars just because of the price.
  • 4/28/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!!!

    Great service from the minute you walk in. Prices are a little steep especially if you are a guy used to going to a barber, but the knowledge and service is unbeatable. While waiting you can relax and watch some tv, drink some espresso, or even have some scotch. The stylists are very good, I don't trust just anyone to touch my hair and I was very nervous going here. The minute I sat down to consult with the stylist I knew right away she was going to do a great job and I was very impressed with level of service.

    A MUST GO!
  • 1/15/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal 3 check-ins here
    Excellent service and results all around! Stopped in for a haircut and men's manicure service. Very thorough job, friendly and good conversation. I didn't partake in any adult refreshments, as it was only 11:45am, but they're available for anyone stopping in closer to happy hour. Great environment and design, too. The Yelp $75 for $50 deal just made it that much better.
  • 10/24/2012
    Since 2008, Truman's Gentlemen's Groomers has been the only place I've used for all of my hair care needs, and since day one, the experience has been second to none!

    I started at the 56th and Lex shop and I'm currently a client over on Madison Avenue. Samantha has been my stylist now for over 3 years and has consistently done excellent work. Samantha and the rest of the crew always do an amazing job of making me feel right at home, and whether its a spa service or just the standard haircut, the staff always goes the extra mile to make the experience extra special.

    The best value is in the membership program, which you should look into if your planning on using their services on a regular basis.

    Both locations have great people working there, and although I'm at the Madison Shop now, you cant go wrong at either one.

    Whether its a great afternoon hot towel straight blade shave, a nice cocktail, or just a simple shoe shine, you'll always be happy with your time spent at Truman's.
    • 0 friends
    • 1 review
    5/3/2013
    Great place. Had a pedicure and was very impressed. Clean, comfortable and capable.
  • 1/4/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    Finally found a place where I get the cut I want.
  • 5/1/2012
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    I've been a loyal Truman's customer for almost two years now. I started going to the 56th street location and now the Madison location, which is much closer to my apartment.

    My stylist, Samantha, is amazing. I highly recommend her. She's been cutting my hair since I first started going to Truman's, and I'm having her cut/style my hair for my upcoming wedding...that's how awesome she is.

    Besides the fact that they offer free drinks and spa services, I truly enjoy the scalp massage and hot towel over the eyes (especially after a long day).

    Keep it up!
  • 4/20/2013
    Purchased a Yelp Deal
    Awesome place to get a haircut.... couldn't be nicer or more accommodating.
  • 2/27/2013
    I went to Truman's a couple times to try it out and was very impressed -- so much so that I got a yearly membership.  Christy cuts my hair and she does a great job.  She is both professional and very friendly.  The best deal is to get the free drink, a consultation, scalp massage with hot towel for your eyes, haircut, manicure and shoe shine.  If you want to keep looking your best and are willing to pay for a great experience, then I highly recommend it.
  • 4/18/2012
    After neglecting my hair for nearly two months, i went in for a consult and cut.
    Felippe really managed the process well, the initial consult was good and I appreciated that he summarized what he was going to do.

    He was very methodical and used a process called point cutting, which was more time consuming than I'm used to, but yielded a nice, clean natural look.

    I would certainly check in about the timing, my haircut was over an hour long, so be clear if you have some engagement afterwards.

    Overall, the place had a clean, modern vibe, the staff was friendly and the hair cut was excellent.
  • 4/27/2012
    Beyond a haircut.
    Never thought a pampering hour would be so nice.
    Great service, very friendly, and very good price/value equation.

    Miriam was my hairstylist, and she was GREAT!
    Best haircut I have ever had, and pretty quick for being an all scissors work. No clippers, which is great when you are loosing hair!
  • 3/12/2012
    First to Review
    Had a haricut, manicure, shoe shine, and a cocktail at the new Truman's on Thursday. I've been a member of the original Truman's location for several years and thought I would check the new place out this time around. I'm happy to report that the service was as exceptional as I've come to expect at Truman's. There were several familiar faces at the new location, in addition to many friendly new ones. Sam cut my hair and I was very pleased with how it turned out. The space itself looked great; many of the same features as the original location, but had it's own feel to it. Loved the exposed brick. Really nice to see this great brand branching out around NY.
  • 8/10/2012
    If you're a man and want to treat yourself or if you're looking for a great gift for a man, than consider Truman's. I got 'The Works' which is a haircut, shave, manicure and shoe shine. It was all timed perfectly. I started with the 45 minute straight edge shave which was very relaxing and enjoyable, then it was onto the haircut. After the consultation, I was shampooed and while I was receiving the haircut, my nails were manicured  and my shoes were removed to be shined. You also receive a complimentary beverage, either alcohol or not, I drank a beer. All in all, not a bad way to spend a few hours in the afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered